Suicidal Thoughts


Take urgent action - Talk about it

If you are feeling like you want to die, it is really important to tell someone.

Is your life in danger?

Help and support is available right now if you need it. You do not have to struggle with difficult feelings alone. If you have seriously harmed yourself, for example, by taking a drug overdose, call 999 for an ambulance or go straight to A&E. Or ask someone else to call 999 or take you to A&E.

Talk to your trusted inner circle

Let family or friends know what is going on with you. They may be able to offer support and help keep you safe.

There is no right or wrong way to talk about suicidal feelings, starting the conversation is the most important thing to do.

Tips to cope for now

  • Just try to get through today rather than focusing on the future

  • Stay away from drugs and alcohol

  • Get yourself to a safe place, like a friend's house

  • Be around other people

  • Do something you usually enjoy, such as spending time with a pet

  • Talk about how you are feeling with someone you trust or an emotional helpline

  • Try to do activities you enjoy which take your mind off what you are thinking

  • Remember that these feelings can and will pass

Are you worried about someone else?

If you are worried about someone, try to get them to talk to you. Ask open-ended questions like: "How do you feel about...?"

Don't worry about having the answers. Just listening to what someone has to say and taking it seriously can be more helpful.

Helpline contacts


T: 116 123


Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) - For Men Miserably (CALM)

T: 0800 58 58 58 – 5pm to midnight every day

Visit the webchat page

Papyrus – for people under 35

T: 0800 068 41 41 – Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm, weekends 2pm to 10pm, bank holidays 2pm to 5pm

Text: 07786 209697


Childline – for children and young people under 19

T: 0800 1111 – the number won't show up on your phone bill

The Silver Line – for older people

T: 0800 4 70 80 90

GP and Out of Hours

If you find it difficult to talk to someone you know, you could:

  • call your GP – ask for an emergency appointment

  • T: 111 out of hours – they will help you find the support and help you need