Passported Benefits


You may be eligible for certain benefits or schemes automatically, (these are known as passported benefits) if you are already receiving another specific benefit or tax credits.

Housing Benefit

You will be entitled to full Housing Benefit based on your *eligible rent if you (or your partner) are in receipt of :

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Pension Credit (guarantee credit)

*You may not be entitled to full Housing Benefit if you are under occupying your home. Visit our Bedroom Tax web page. Or if you are paying for certain service charges.

Child Tax Credit

If you have a dependent child or children and you receive Child Benefit for them you *may be entitled to full Child Tax Credit if you or your partner are in receipt of:

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Pension Credit (guarantee credit)

*You may not be able to make a new claim for tax credits or renew a claim, visit our Universal Credit web page.

Change in circumstances

It is essential to notify the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) immediately if your entitlement to any of the benefits listed comes to an end.

Help with Health Costs

You may be fully exempt from all health charges, but if not, you could still be entitled to help with; NHS prescriptions, NHS dental treatment, sight tests, glasses and contact lenses, travel to receive NHS treatment, NHS wigs and fabric supports.

You will automatically be entitled to full help with health costs (and will not need to apply under the NHS low income scheme - below) if you or your partner receive:

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

  • Universal Credit - if your earnings during your last complete assessment period were £435 or less, or £935 or less if you had a child element or had limited capability for work

You will also be entitled to full help if you are named on, or entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate. If you have any dependant children under the age of 20 and they are named on your benefit or tax credit claim, they will also qualify for the same help as you.

The NHS low income scheme

You may be eligible for help under the NHS low income scheme, if you are, you will qualify for an HC2 certificate (enabling full help with health costs) or an HC3 certificate (enabling limited help). Also if you are entitled and you have already paid for your prescriptions, treatment etc… you may be able to claim a refund using form HC5.

Eligibility and assessment

You won’t be eligible for help if you or your partner (or both) have more than:

  • £16,000 in savings, investments or property (this does not include the place where you live)

  • £23,250 in savings, investments or property if you live permanently in a care home (£24,000 if you live in Wales)

Your eligibility for the scheme will be assessed on your weekly income (including any savings or investments you have at the time you claim) and essential expenditure, which will include your council tax and housing costs. Therefore, even if your income is too high for Income Support, you might still get help through the NHS Low Income Scheme. Income will also be taken into account from anyone who lives in your household, except for any children or dependent young people.

Making an application

You will need to complete form HC1 which can be downloaded online (as well as form HC5 - applying for a refund) or you can request a copy is sent to you. Visit or telephone the NHS low income scheme on 0300 330 1343. Their website also has appropriate links if you are applying in Scotland or Wales. If you live in Northern Ireland visit

If you are over 60 - Some people can now apply online for the Scheme. If you don't live with a partner and your only income is from a pension, you might be able to apply online.

Further Schemes

If you are in receipt of; income-related ESA, income-based JSA, Income Support or Pension Credit (paid as guarantee credit) or certain rates of Disability Living Allowance, you may be awarded one of the following at the discretion of your local authority:

  • A discount leisure pass

  • A free bus pass

  • Free car tax

  • A discounted rail card

  • Reduced taxi fares

You can find details of your local authority via Find your local council or by directly enquiring at your local authority for information about their rules regarding these discretionary based schemes.

Additional passported benefit information pages

Please refer to our Energy debt web page for information about energy efficient grants and the ‘Warm Home’ discount.

You can find information about the ‘Sure Start Maternity Grant’ and the ‘Healthy Start Scheme’ in our ‘Help in pregnancy and the early years’ web pages.

For information about free school meals and other school costs see our fact sheet ‘Financial help with school costs’.

You may also be eligible to receive a housing grant or loan for example a disabled facilities grant.

Child tax credit

You could be eligible for one of the mentioned schemes if you are currently claiming child tax credits. However some of the schemes stipulate that your household income needs to be below £16,190 per year.

Universal credit

If you are receiving Universal Credit, you may be eligible for some of the mentioned schemes but you need to be aware that there may be an income limit, which may vary from scheme to scheme.