It is available to a person with enhanced rate of personal independence payment 'mobility component' or the higher rate of disability living alloawance mobility component, awards must have a minimum of 12 moths to run.
How it works
The Motability Scheme enables people to get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a new car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle ( WAV ), scooter or powered wheelchair.
The meilage limits are 60,000 miles for a 3 year lease and 100,000 mile for a 5 year lease. Additional miles are charged at 5p per mile.
There are no credit checks for the agreement.
What will you get?
- The package includes free car insurance for up to two drivers, additional drivers can be added at a cost. NB. A driver with fully comprehensive insurance that is not named on your certificate of motor insurance is not permitted to drive the vehicle.
- Leases are for 3 years standard but can be extended to 5 years.
- Road tax is waived.
- Maintenannce of the vehicle is free.
- Good Condition Bonus: If you return your car in good condition, you could be eligible to receive Motability's Good Condition Bonus. The amount you receive depends on the length of the agreement: it is currently £600 for a three year lease and £900 for a five year lease.
Motability Grant programmes
Motability has a vision that no disabled person shall be disadvantaged due to poor access to transportation. To achive this vision, it offers a number of grant programmes to help disabled persons:
1. Motability Scheme-related Grant Programmes
- Cars and Vehicle Adaptations Grant Programme
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) Grant Programme
- Complex Driving Solutions Grant Programme